A Word A Day : Aromatic
Friday, 15th February 2008 : Today's Word is ...
Aromatic( Adjective & Noun )
Pronunciation : àrrō-máttik Definition:
1. giving off a distinctive and pleasant smell
2. CHEMISTRY : describes organic compounds that contain one or more rings of carbon atoms and undergo chemical reactions that are characteristic of benzene. About half of all organic compounds are aromatic
3. An aromatic plant or substance, such as a medication
4. CHEMISTRY : An aromatic organic compoundEtymology:
14th century - Via French - Greek arōmatikos - arōma - spiceSynonyms
ambrosial, balmy, fragrant, odoriferous, perfumed, pungent, redolent, savory, scented, spicy, sweet, sweet-smelling
means having an odor or fragrance.
refers to something smelly.
• Having a sharp taste is pungent
• Having a pleasingly sharp taste is piquant
acrid, stinky, unscented, odorless, bland, unsavoryContextual Examples:
• The perfume counter was unusually aromatic
• At night time she sang or played with the windows open, Wingrave himself out of sight under the cedar trees, whose perfume filled with aromatic
sweetness the still night air.
• The heavy smell was replaced by the smell of aromatic
vinegar, which Kitty with pouting lips and puffed-out, rosy cheeks was squirting through a little pipe.
• There is an undergrowth of aromatic
shrubs, creepers and clambering vines that render the forests almost impenetrable.Related Words:
: NounCommon Misspellings of Trenchant:
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.A Word A Day IndexFrom Aromatic to HOME PAGE