A Word A Day : Embellish
Sunday, 10th February 2008 : Today's Word is ...
( Transitive Verb )
Past and past participle : embellished
Present participle : embellishing
3rd person present singular : embellishes
Pronunciation : em-béll-ish
1. to increase the beauty of something by adding ornaments or decorations
2. to make an account or description more interesting by inventing or exaggerating details
3. to add extra notes, accents, or trills to a melody to make it more beautiful or interesting
4. to beautify something
5. To endow with beauty and elegance by way of a notable addition
14th century - Old French embelliss - stem of embellir - make beautiful - bel - beautiful - Latin bellus
decorate, adorn, embroider, beautify, ornament, exaggerate, elaborate, overdo, aggrandize, enhance, enlarge, embroider, gild
means to decorate with gold leaf or liquid gold.
is a formal association of people with similar interests.
denude, simplify, deface, disfigure, mar, spoil, uglify
• It is easy to embellish
the pillars and insert beams in a home but hard to get the huai tree to grow.
• He presented a fanciful account that embellishes
the true story.
• The young girl is lovely and her tears only embellish
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.
A Word A Day Index
From Embellish to HOME PAGE