A Word A Day : Fanatic
Saturday, 12th April 2008 : Today's Word is ...
( Adjective & Noun )
Pronunciation : fa-náttik
1. a holder of extreme or irrational enthusiasms or beliefs, especially in religion or politics
2. somebody who is very enthusiastic about a pastime or hobby
3. holding especially political views that deviate drastically and fundamentally from conventional or traditional beliefs
4. overly enthusiastic or devoted to an ideal
Latin fānāticus, inspired by orgiastic rites, pertaining to a temple, from fānum, temple
activist, addict, bigot, bug, crank, crazy, demon, devotee, enthusiast, extremist, fiend, fool, freak, maniac, militant, monomaniac, nut, radical, ultraist, visionary, zealot, overenthusiast
• If you pick a truth and follow it blindly. It becomes a falsehood, and you a fanatic
• Strickland had the directness of the fanatic
and the ferocity of the apostle.
• Then the miserable fanatic
must be found who will serve as an instrument of God's justice.
• A fanatic like Cornelius might very easily have found another fanatic
who would give a hundred guilders for his remains.
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.
A Word A Day Index
From Fanatic to HOME PAGE