A Word A Day : Imbecile
Monday, 1st October 2007 : Today's Word is ...
( Noun )
Pronunciation : im'be-sil
1. A stupid or silly person
2. A person whose mental acumen is well below par
3. A person of moderate to severe mental retardation having a mental age of from three to seven years and generally being capable of some degree of communication and performance of simple tasks under supervision. The term belongs to a classification system no longer in use and is now considered offensive
4. One deficient in judgment and good sense
From obsolete French imbecille, weak, feeble, from Old French, from Latin imbēcillus : in-, not
Ass, Fool, Idiot, Jackass, Mooncalf, Moron, Nincompoop, Ninny, Nitwit, Simple, Simpleton, Softhead, Tomfool
Brain, Genius, Intellectual
• Am I not as brave, and much more intelligent, than that imbecile
• Pierre continued, in French, to persuade the officer not to hold that drunken imbecile
• How hard it is to make your thoughts look anything but imbecile
fools when you paint them with ink on paper.
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.
Go to The A Word A Day Index
From Imbecile to HOME PAGE