A Word A Day : Jovial
Wednesday, 7th May 2008 : Today's Word is ...
( Adjective )
Pronunciation : jo-vee-al
1. Full of good humor
2. Marked by hearty conviviality and good cheer
3. Full of or showing high-spirited merriment
is a high-order computer programming language similar to ALGOL, but specialized for the development of embedded systems.
stands for J
ersion of the I
French, probably from Italian giovale, from Old Italian, of Jupiter (regarded as the source of happiness), from Late Latin Ioviâlis, from Latin Iuppiter, Iov-, Jupiter
cheerful, jolly, fun-loving, breezy, cheery, good-humored, full of beans, bright and breezy, happy, merry, jocund, blithe, buoyant
gloomy, miserable, sad, unhappy
• The jovial
party greeted the carolers with eggnog and, of course, figgy pudding.
• As he sat down quietly under the shade of a drooping willow he heard snatches of a jovial
song floating to him from the farther side. Then came a sound of two men's voices arguing.
• The Frenchman considered the position, then broke suddenly into jovial
expletives, and with an impatient gesture, gathering up the pieces, flung them into their box.
• One pupil of the sixteen-year-old Custer remembered him as socially inclined, jovial
, and full of life.
• The Puritans took a dim view of the jovial
, amiable cleric who liked to have a pot of ale at one of Purleigh's pubs.
• He smiled, joked and at times seemed downright jovial
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.
A Word A Day Index
From Jovial to HOME PAGE