A Word A Day : Kaleidoscope
Friday, 28th September 2007 : Today's Word is ...
( Noun )
Pronunciation : ka-li-de-skop
1. A tube-shaped optical instrument that is rotated to produce a succession of symmetrical designs by means of mirrors reflecting the constantly changing patterns made by bits of colored glass at one end of the tube
2. A constantly changing set of colors
3. A series of changing phases or events
4. An optical toy in a tube
Greek kalos, beautiful + eidos, form; weid- in Indo-European roots + -scope
Complex Pattern, Phantasmagoria, Display, Mixture, Medley, Changing Scene, Series, Web, Set, Chain Reaction, Domino Effect, Chain Of Events
• It was marvellous, a feast for the eyes, this complication of coloured tints, a perfect kaleidoscope
of green, yellow, orange, violet, indigo, and blue.
• Your presentation is nothing but a kaleidoscope
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.
Go to The A Word A Day Index
From Kaleidoscope to HOME PAGE