A Word A Day : Quandary
Thursday, 20th March 2008 : Today's Word is ...
( Noun )
Pronunciation : kwónde-ree & kwóndree
1. a state of uncertainty or indecision as to what to do in a difficult situation
2. a situation from which extrication is difficult especially an unpleasant or trying one
3. trouble or confusion resulting from complexity
4. a predicament from which a skillful or graceful escape is impossible
1579, state of perplexity - of unknown origin - perhaps a quasi-Latinism based on L. quando - when
bewilderment, bind, box, catch 22, clutch, corner, difficulty, dilemma, double trouble, doubt, embarrassment, hang-up, impasse, mire, perplexity, pickle, plight, predicament, puzzle, spot, strait, uncertainty
certainty, decisiveness, calm, peace, peace of mind, serenity, advantage, solution
• We were in a quandary
as to whether we should go on vacation this week or next week.
• Once or twice as I stood waiting there for things to accomplish themselves, I could not resist an impulse to laugh at my miserable quandary
• Weeks had listened politely, with smiling modesty, till Hayward finished; then he asked one or two insidious questions, so innocent in appearance that Hayward, not seeing into what a quandary
they led him, answered blandly.
• The school commissioners were in a quandary
over the needful size of an open-air playground.
• Don told me of the quandary
that the authorities were in. Should the ruins be left untouched or should they be reconstructed for a new wave of tourists?
: Noun - Plural
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.
A Word A Day Index
From Quandary to HOME PAGE