Business Dictionary :
Queue, Quick, Quickly and Quiet
Queue : noun :
(a) line of people waiting one behind the other
• To form a queue or to join a queue
• Queues were formed at the doors of the bank when the news spread about its possible collapse.
= line of people waiting to collect their unemployment money
(b) series of documents (such as orders, application forms) which are dealt with in order
• His order went to the end of the queue = his order was dealt with last.
= list of people waiting for mortgages
: to form a line one after the other for something
• When food was rationed, people had to queue for bread.
• We queued for hours to get tickets.
• A list of companies queuing to be launched on the Stock Exchange.
: fast or not taking any time
• The company made a quick recovery.
• He is looking for a quick return on his investments.
• We are hoping for a quick sale.
: without taking much time
• The sale of the company went through quickly.
• The accountant quickly looked through the pile of invoices.
: calm or not excited
• The market is very quiet.
On The Quiet
• Currency exchanges were quieter after the government's statement on exchange rates.
= in secret
• He transferred his bank account to Switzerland on the quiet.
From Queue to HOME PAGE