A Word A Day : Transcribe
Wednesday, 21st November 2007 : Today's Word is ...
( Verb )
(past and past participle : transcribed, present participle : transcribing, 3rd person present singular : transcribes)
Pronunciation : tran-skrib
1. to make a written copy, esp. a typewritten copy, of (dictated material, notes taken during a lecture, or other spoken material)
2. to make an exact copy of (a document, text, etc.)
3. to write out in another language or alphabet ( or ) to translate or transliterate (to transcribe Chinese into English characters )
4. to represent (speech sounds) in written phonetic or phonemic symbols
5. to make a recording of (a program, announcement, etc.) for broadcasting
6. to arrange (a composition) for a medium other than that for which it was originally written
7. to effect genetic transcription of (a DNA molecule template)
8. to transfer (information) from one recording and storing system to another
9. to copy data from one medium to another; for example, from one source document to another, or from a source document to the computer. It often implies a change of format or codes.
Mid-16th century - Latin transcribere - copy, convey - scribere - write
copy out, decipher, duplicate, engross, interpret, note, record, render, reprint, reproduce, rewrite, set out, take down, tape, tape-record, transfer, translate, transliterate, write out
originate, disregard, ignore, read
• Writers don't write, they read and transcribe
• And the reason is, that my secretary cannot transcribe
Related Words :
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.
Go to The A Word A Day Index
From Transcribe to HOME PAGE