Saturday, 25th August 2007 : Today's Word is ...
( Verb )
Pronunciation : (im-por'chun)
1. To beset with insistent or repeated requests
2. To entreat pressingly
3. To ask for urgently or repeatedly
4. To plead or urge irksomely, often persistently
5. To trouble persistently from or as if from all sides
1. give in
2. be feeble
• Too poor for a bribe and too proud to importune, He had not the method of making a fortune.
• I continued to importune her to enlighten me.
Importuner, Importunity, Importunacy : Nouns
Importunely : Adverb
Importunate, Importunable : Adjectives
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.
Go to The A Word A Day Index
Synonyms and Antonyms
Longest Word |