A Word A Day : Tumult
Saturday, 1st March 2008 : Today's Word is ...
( Noun )
Pronunciation : too-mùlt
1. a violent or noisy commotion
2. a psychological or emotional upheaval or agitation
3. sounds or a sound especially when loud, confused or disagreeable
4. a quarrel, fight or disturbance marked by very noisy, disorderly and often violent behavior
5. an interruption of regular procedure or of public peace
6. violent agitation
14th century - Directly or via French tumulte - Latin tumultus - commotion - tumere - swell
uproar, commotion, clamor, hubbub, hullabaloo, din, turmoil, furor, mayhem, confusion, chaos, disorder, turbulence, upheaval, turmoil, confusion, turbulence
applies only to people.
is confusion and agitation for people and things.
calm, peace, quiet, calmness, push
• I spend much time in a tumult
of anger and disbelief.
• Better than any other he gives a picture of the infinite struggles, clamor, railing and tumult
• The tumult
reached its height during the premier's speech.
• The tumult
moved toward the embassy.
• His placid facade failed to conceal the tumult
of his mind.
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.
A Word A Day Index
From Tumult to HOME PAGE