A Word A Day : Neutral
Saturday, 19th April 2008 : Today's Word is ...
( Noun & Adjective )
Pronunciation : noo-trel
Definition : Adjective
1. belonging to, favoring or assisting no side in a war, dispute, contest or controversy
2. possessing no distinctive quality or revealing no attitude or feeling
3. describes a color such as white, black, or gray that is not in the spectrum
4. not strongly or strikingly colored and thus relatively inconspicuous and able to blend easily with other colors
: neither acidic nor alkaline
Definition : Noun
: a gear in which no power is transmitted from the engine to the moving parts
: a person or country that remains neutral in a war, dispute, contest, or controversy
14th century - Latin - ne - not + uter - which of two
impartial, neuter, nonaligned, nonpartisan, unbiased, uncommitted, uninvolved, unprejudiced, detached, disinterested, dispassionate, impersonal, indifferent
biased, committal, partial, partisan, predisposed, prejudiced, bright, colorful, loud, strong
• During World War II Portugal was neutral
• She was careful to explain the problem in neutral
• Switzerland remained neutral
during World War II.
• she slipped the gear into neutral
• I am by disposition one of life's neutrals
, a human Switzerland.
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.
Previous Word |
Next Word |
A Word A Day |
Neutral to HOME PAGE