Business Dictionary :
AAA, A shares, A 1, Abandon, Abandonment
AAA : letters indicating that a share or bond or bank is very reliable.
• These bonds have an AAA rating.
NOTE : you say triple A
A shares : plural noun : ordinary shares with limited voting rights
A 1 : adjective :
(a) best : we sell only goods in A I condition
(b) ship which is A I at Lloyd's : ship which is in best condition according to Lloyd's Register
A1, A2, A3, A4, A5 : nouns : standard international sizes of paper.
• You must photocopy the spreadsheet on A3 paper.
• We must order some more A4 headed notepaper.
Abandon : verb :
(a) to give up or not to continue
• We abandoned the idea of selling up a New York office.
• The development programme had to be abandoned when the company ran out of cash.
To abandon an action = to give up a court case
(b) to leave (something)
• The crew abandoned the sinking ship.
Abandonment : noun : act of giving something up : abandonment of a ship = giving up a ship and cargo to the underwriters against payment for total loss
From AAA to HOME PAGE