Frequently Asked Questions
Here is a List of Frequently Asked Questions about English and our answers for them. English is spoken as a First Language by more than 300 million people throughout the world and used as a Second Language by many millions more. One in five of the world's population speaks English with a good level of competence and within the next few years the number of people speaking English as a Second Language will exceed the number of Native Speakers.
This could have a dramatic effect on the evolution of the language. In the process of being absorbed by new cultures, English develops to take account of local language needs, giving rise not just to new vocabulary but also to new forms of grammar and pronunciation.
At the same time, however, standardized Global English is spread by the media and the Internet.
The main regional standards of English are British, US and Canadian, Australian and New Zealand, South African, Indian and
Within each of these regional varieties a number of highly differentiated local dialects may be found.
This site try to include many regionalisms encountered in different English-speaking areas of the world.
The Questions have been categorized fairly broad on the basis of the following method. Simply choose a category and then browse the list of questions therein.
• Word Origins
• General Aspects of English
• The English Language
• Top 10 BLUNDERS in Written English
Most Frequently Viewed Questions:
• What are the Longest Words in the dictionary?
• Is there any English Word with the same letter 3 times in a row?
• Are there any words that Rhyme With Orange?
• How Many Words are there in the English language?
• What is the longest One-Syllable Word in English?
• What is a Split Infinitive and why should I avoid using one?
• What is the Oxford Comma?
• Does Bimonthly mean twice a month or every two months?
• Are there words that contain The Letter Q without a U following it?
What comes after Once, Twice, Thrice?
• Is a Banana a fruit or an herb?
• What is the origin of the Dollar Sign ($)?
• What are Five Events that Shaped the History of English?
• A Word sums up a particular year : A Word A Year : 1906 - 2006
• What are the most Frequently Used Words in English?
What are the Typical Errors that people usually commit?
• What are the New Words?
• Is there An Official Committee which regulates the English language?
Frequently Asked Questions to HOME PAGE