This section Advanced English largely focuses on the areas of usage which are often troublesome to non-native speakers of English. So far, you have learned the lessons for forming your own sentences. Here after, pay more attention on refining those sentences so that your character is reflected in those sentences. Take one lesson a day and master it to its core. And take more practicing exercises in order to familiarize yourself with the usages of all figures of English.
As it is said at the outset itself, bring a note-book and a pen in order to take down notes for your future reference.This section on Advanced-English takes you to the next higher level.
There are various minute-points in every section. Go at the speed of a TORTOISE for mastering all those points.This section on Advanced-English takes you to the next higher level.
Related Links :
• The Verb and the Subject in a sentence must agree with each other. There are many types of sentences which have to be treated differently.This section on Advanced-English takes you to the next higher level.To know more…
Subject and Verb agreement-1
• To know more about how the Verb and the Subject agree with each other in various other sentences which are different from one another and to know how different tenses are used...
Subject and Verb agreement-2
• The Tenses used in a sentence should be appropriate to the meaning of the sentence. All the tenses should be used properly.This section on Advanced-English takes you to the next higher level.To know more about how to use the Tenses properly…
The correct uses of Tenses
• Parallelism is about ‘bringing about a balance within the structure of the sentence’. Lack of it destroys the beauty of the sentence. How to restore the Parallelism in a sentence is what you have to learn...
• Symmetry is also about ‘bringing about a balance’ but between the two parts of the sentence. Lack of it destroys the beauty of the sentence.How to restore the Symmetry in a sentence...
• The Pronouns must be used properly in a sentence in order to avoid inelegant repetition of nouns. This section on Advanced- English takes you to the next higher level.There are many points which we have to keep in mind while using the Pronouns. What are they?...
• How are IDIOMS related with Prepositions? How are IDIOMS formed? What are the functions that the Prepositional Phrases doing in the sentences? Is LIKE a Preposition>
• What are the Modifiers? How should the Misplaced Modifiers and the Dangling Modifiers be set correct to make the sentence grammatically correct?The Dangling Modifier is doing...
• Comparing Apples and Oranges is another type of mistake that we normally commit in English.This section on Advanced-English takes you to the next higher level. Then what to do?How to rectify the mistakes of comparing apples and oranges?
Comparison of Apples and Oranges
• On many occasions the wrong words in the sentences would make the sentences awkward ones. All the points needed to create sentences which should be both grammatically and idiomatically correct...
Choice of Words
• Correlative Conjunctions are those conjunctions which are in the form of pair of words. Such a Correlative Conjunction should be used properly to complete the sentence beautifully.
• Idioms may be defined as expressions peculiar to a language. They play an important part in all languages. How a particular verb gets it meaning changed when it is used in an idiomatic sense?
• There is more to learn about Idioms. Use them as frequently as possible in your writings.Such a practice will improve your communication skills.To get accustomed to the usages of them...
More on Idioms
• To learn how to use all the Punctuation marks properly and to create sentences to convey your intended meanings…Punctuation is not only about marks but also about propriety.To know more…
• Many examples might have made the point very clear that the proper Word-Order is must for any sentence to be beautiful.What would happen if the sentence does not have the Word-Order?
• There are special types of sentences which are said to be in Subjunctive Mood.This section on Advanced-English takes you to the next higher level.These sentences violate the usual rules relating to subject-predicate agreement in number and in tense.HOW?
• There are few Special Sentences which are too commonly used but which are grammatically and idiomatically correct. But, they are quite different from other normal sentences. HOW?
• Redundancy means using words unnecessarily or using words for a second time.The common error in redundancy is the use of the phrase ‘the reason….because’.How to correct those sentences?
• Words, which are denoting the quantity of the nouns, are called Quantity-Words.This section on Advanced-English takes you to the next higher level. English has different adjectives to describe those words. How to use those words properly to avoid ambiguity?
• The word IF should be used only as a conditional conjunction and not as a conjunction indicating a choice. Where a choice of action is indicated, the proper word to be used is WHETHER, not IF.
Use of Words
•The Figures of Speech are departure from the ordinary form of expression, or the ordinary course of ideas in order to produce a greater effect.What are the types of Speeches that we use?
Figures of Speech
• In Simile, a comparison is made between two objects of different kinds which have at least one point in common.Using Similes such as the ones given here will add emphasis and varieties to your writings.
• There are few rules which should be followed in the formation of words.Mastering those rules is the best way to master vocabulary. As everywhere, here also are exceptions.
• Formation of words has few rules which determine the nature of the words formed thus. How the Prefixes and the Suffixes are used in the formation of words? To know the rules in depth…
Formation of Words
From Advanced English to HOME PAGE