Business Dictionary :
Affair, Affect, Affiliated and Affirmative
Affair : noun : business or dealings
• Are you involved in the copyright affair?
• His affairs were so difficult to understand that the lawyers had to ask accountants for advice.
Affect : verb : to change or to have a bad effect on (something)
• The new government regulations do not affect us.
• The company's sales in the Far East were seriously affected by the embargo.
QUOTE : The dollar depreciation has yet to affect the underlying inflation rate. (Australian Financial Review)
Affiliated : adjective : connected with or owned by another company
• One of our affiliated companies is …
Affirmative : adjective : meaning yes
• The answer was in the affirmative.
• The answer was yes.
• US affirmative action program = programme to avoid discrimination in employment
NOTE : the GB equivalent is equal opportunities
From Affair to HOME PAGE