Air, Airline, Airmail, Airport, Airtight and Airworthiness
• To send a letter or a shipment by air
Air Carrier = company which send cargo or passengers by air
Air Forwarding = arranging for goods to be shipped by air
Air Letter = special sheet of thin blue paper which when folded can be sent by air mail without an envelope
Air : verb : to air a grievance = to talk about or to discuss a grievance
• The management committee is useful because it allows the workers' representatives to air their grievances.
Air Cargo : noun : goods sent by air
Aircraft : noun : machine which flies in the air carrying passengers or cargo
• The airline has a fleet of ten commercial aircraft.
NOTE : no plural (one aircraft, two aircraft)
Air Freight : noun : method of shipping goods in an aircraft
• To send a shipment by air freight
Air Freight : verb : to send goods by air
• To airfreight a consignment to Mexico
Airline : noun : company which carries passengers or cargo by air
Airmail : noun : way of sending letters or parcels by air
• To send a package by airmail
NOTE : no plural
Airmail : verb : to end letters or parcels by air
• To airmail a document to New York
Airport : noun : place where planes land and take off
• We leave from London Airport at 10.00.
Airport Bus = bus which takes passenger to and from an airport
Airport Tax = tax added to the price of the air ticket to cover the cost of running an airport
Airport Terminal = main building at an airport where passengers arrive and depart
Air Terminal : noun : building in a town where passengers meet to be taken by bus to an airport outside the town
Airtight : adjective : any object which does not allow air to get in
• The goods are packed in airtight containers.
Airworthiness : noun : being able and safe to fly
Certificate of Airworthiness = certificate to show that an aircraft is safe to fly
NOTE : no plural