Let us take an overview of the revision process. We see revising as a two-stage process. In the large – scale or global stage, you make substantial changes. You may …
• Shift or narrow the focus of your writing.
• Redirect your writing to better suit your audience.
• Modify the central purpose of your writing.
• Make substantial cuts.
• Expand on some points.
• Reorganize your writing to change the emphasis.
In the small – scale or local stage, you make changes that affect style, tone and unity but usually not content. You may …
• Add examples, anecdotes and more details.
• Cut excess words and phrases to eliminate clutter.
• Add graphics or illustrations as needed.
• Consider whether you can find stronger verbs.
• Improve transitions.
• Rearrange some words or phrases to improve style.
• Review and perhaps rewrite opening and closing paragraphs.
Other Pages in This Section :
Successful Writing Index