Business Dictionary :
Apportion, Apportionment, Appraise, Appraisal,
Appreciate and Appreciation
Apportion : verb : to share out (costs)
• Costs are apportioned according to projected revenue.
Apportionment : noun : sharing out of (costs)
Appraise : verb : to assess or to calculate the value of something
Appraisal : noun : calculation of the value of someone or something
Staff Appraisals = reports on how well each member of staff is working
Appreciate : verb :
(a) to notice how good something is
• The customer always appreciates efficient service.
• Tourists do not appreciate long delays at banks.
(b) to increase in value
• The dollar has appreciated in terms of the yen.
• These shares have appreciated by 5%.
Appreciation : noun :
(a) increase in value
• These shares show an appreciation of 10%.
• The appreciation of the dollar against the peseta
(b) valuing something highly
• He was given a rise in appreciation of his excellent work.
NOTE : no plural
From Apportion to HOME PAGE