Business Dictionary :
Apportion, Apportionment, Appraise, Appraisal,
Appreciate and Appreciation
Apportion : verb : to share out (costs)
• Costs are apportioned according to projected revenue. Apportionment
: sharing out of (costs) Appraise
: to assess or to calculate the value of something Appraisal
: calculation of the value of someone or somethingStaff Appraisals
= reports on how well each member of staff is working Appreciate
(a) to notice how good something is
• The customer always appreciates efficient service.
• Tourists do not appreciate long delays at banks.
(b) to increase in value
• The dollar has appreciated in terms of the yen.Appreciation
• These shares have appreciated by 5%.
(a) increase in value
• These shares show an appreciation of 10%.
• The appreciation of the dollar against the peseta
(b) valuing something highly
• He was given a rise in appreciation of his excellent work. NOTE
: no plural From Apportion to HOME PAGE