Business Dictionary :
Approach, Appropriate and Appropriation
Approach : noun : getting in touch with someone with a proposal
• The company made an approach to the supermarket chain.Approach
• The board turned down all approaches on the subject of mergers.
• We have had an approach from a Japanese company to buy our car division.
: to get in touch with someone with a proposal
• He approached the bank with a request for a loan.Appropriate
• The company was approached by an American publisher with the suggestion of a merger.
• We have been approached several times but have turned down all offers.
: to put a sum of money aside for a special purpose
• To appropriate a sum of money for a capital project Appropriation
: act of putting money aside for a special purpose
• Appropriation of' funds to the reserveNOTE
• Appropriation account = part of a profit and loss account which shows how the profit has been dealt with (i.e. how much has been given to the shareholders as dividends & how much is being put into the reserves etc.)
: no plural From Approach to HOME PAGE