Business Dictionary :
Approve, Approval, Approximate,
Approximately and Approximation
Approve : verb :
(a) to approve of = to think something is good
• The chairman approves of the new company letter heading.
• The sales staff do not approve of interference from the accounts division.
(b) to agree to something officially
• To approve the terms of a contractApproval
• The proposal was approved by the board.
: noun :
• To submit a budget for approval
• Certificate of approval = document showing that an item has been approved officially
(b) on approval = sale where the buyer only pays for goods if they are satisfactory
• To buy a photocopier on approval
NOTE : no plural Approximate
: adjective : not exact, but almost correct
• The sales division has made an approximate forecast of expenditure. Approximately
: adverb : almost correctly
• Expenditure is approximately 10% down on the previous quarter. Approximation
: noun : rough calculation
• Approximation of expenditureFrom Approve to HOME PAGE
• The final figure is only an approximation.