Business Dictionary :
Arrears, Arrive, Arrival and Arrivals
Arrears : plural - noun : money which is owed but which has not been paid at the right time
• Arrears of interest
• To allow the payments to fall into arrears
• Salary with arrears effective from January 1st
• In arrears = owing money which should have been paid earlier
• The payments are six months in arrears.
• He is six weeks in arrears with his rent.
Arrive : verb :
(a) to reach a place
• The consignment has still not arrived.
• The shippment arrived without any documentation.
• The plane arrives in Sydney at 04.00.
• The train leaves Paris at 09.20 and arrives at Bordeaux two hours later.
NOTE : You arrive at or in a place or town, but only in a country
(b) to arrive at = to calculate and agree
• To arrive at a price
• After some discussion we arrived at a compromise.
Arrival : noun : reaching a place
• We are waiting for the arrival of a consignment of spare parts.
To await arrival = note written on an envelope to ask for it to be kept safe until the person it is addressed to arrives.
Arrivals = part of an airport dealing with passengers who are arriving
From Arrears to HOME PAGE