Business Dictionary :
Ask, Ask For and Asking Price
Ask : verb :
(a) to put a question to someone
• He asked the information office for details of companies exhibiting at the motor show.
• Ask the salesgirl if the bill includes VAT.
(b) to tell someone to do something
• He asked the switchboard operator to get him a number in Germany.
• She asked her secretary to fetch a file from the managing director's office.
• The customs officials asked him to open his case.
Ask For : verb :
(a) to say that you want or need something
• He asked for the file on 1984 debtors.
• They asked for more time to repay the loan.
• There is a man in reception asking for Mr Smith.
(b) to put a price on something for sale
• They are asking £24,000 for the car.
Asking Price : noun : price which the seller asks for the goods being sold
• The asking price is £24,000.
From Ask to HOME PAGE