Business Dictionary :
Avoid, Avoidance, Avoirdupois and Await
Avoid : verb : to try not to do something
• The company is trying to avoid bankruptcy.NOTE
• My aim is to avoid paying too much tax.
• We want to avoid direct competition with Smith Ltd.
: You avoid something or avoid doing something. Avoidance
: trying not to do something
• Avoidance of an agreement or of a contractNOTE
• Tax avoidance = trying (legally) to pay as little tax as possible
: no plural Avoirdupois
: old system of weights used in Britain, shown in pounds, ounces, etc.
• One ounce avoirdupois Await
: to wait for
• We are awaiting the decision of the phoning department.From Avoid to HOME PAGE
• They are awaiting a decision of the court.
• The agent is awaiting our instructions.