B Shares, Baby Bonds and Back
• Write your address on the back of the envelope.
Back : adjective : referring to the past
Back Interest = interest not yet paid
Back Orders = orders received in the past and not fulfilled (usually because the item is out of stock)
• After the strike it took the factory six weeks to clear all the accumulated back orders.
Back Pay = salary which has not been paid
• I am owed £500 in back pay.
Back Payment = paying money which is owed
• The salesmen are claiming for back payment of unpaid commission.
Back Payments = payments which are due.
Back Rent = rent owed
• The company owes £100,000 in back rent.
Back : adverb : as things were before
• He will pay back the money in monthly instalments.
Back : verb :
(a) to back someone = to help someone financially
• The bank is backing him to the tune of£ 10,000.
(b) to back a bill = to sign a bill promising to pay it if the person it is addressed to is not able to do so