Business Dictionary :
Backdate, Backer, Background,
Backhander, Backing and Backlog
Backdate : verb : to put an earlier date on a cheque or an invoice
• Backdate your invoice to April 1st.Backer
• The pay increase is backdated to January 1st.
: person who backs someone
• He has an Australian backer.Background
• One of the company's backers has withdrawn.
• Backer of a bill = person who backs a bill
(a) past work or experience
• His background is in the steel industry.
• The company is looking for someone with a background of success in the electronics industry.
• She has a publishing background.
• What is his background?
• Do you know anything about his background?
(b) past details
• He explained the background of the claim.Backhander
• I know the contractual situation as it stands now. But can you fill in the background details?
: informal : bribe or money given to someone to get him to help you Backing
: financial support
• He has the backing of an Australian bank.Currency Backing
• The company will succeed only if it has sufficient backing.
• Who is providing the backing for the project?
• Where does the backing for the project come from?
= gold or government securities which maintain the strength of a currency NOTE
: no plural Backlog
: work (such as orders or letters) which has piled up waiting to be done
• The warehouse is trying to cope with a backlog of orders.NOTE
• My secretary can't cope with the backlog of paperwork.
: no plural Back Out
: to stop being part of a deal or an agreement
• The bank backed out of the contract.Back Up
• We had to cancel the project when our German partners backed out.
: to support or to help
• He brought along a file of documents to back up his claim.Backup
• The finance director said the managing director had refused to back him up in his argument with the VAT office.
: supporting or helping
• We offer a free backup service to customers.Backup Copy
• After a series of sales tours by representatives, the sales director sends backup letters to all the contacts.
= copy of a computer disk to be kept in case the original disk is damaged From Backdate to HOME PAGE