A Word A Day : Baritone
Friday, 21st December 2007 : Today's Word is ...
Baritone( Noun & Adjective )
Pronunciation : bar'i-ton
1. A male singer or voice with a range higher than a bass and lower than a tenor
2. An instrument that sounds within this range
3. A vocal or instrumental part written in this range
4. A valved brass instrument similar to but larger than the euphonium
5. Of or pertaining to a baritoneEtymology:
Italian baritono, from Greek barutonos, deep sounding - barus, heavy + tonos - toneSynonyms:
• His baritone
voice worked beautifully with the voices of the other singers.
• Mr. Sungh was remembered as a Newsreader with beard, baritone
voice and perfect diction.Related Words:barytone
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.Go to The A Word A Day IndexFrom Baritone to HOME PAGE