Business Dictionary :
Base and Database
Base : noun :
(a) lowest or first position
• Turnover increased by 200% but starting from a low base.Base Year
: first year of an index against which later years' changes are measuredBank Base Rate
: basic rate of interest which a bank charges on loans to its customersDatabase
: store of information in a large computer
• We can extract the lists of potential customers from our database.
(b) place where a company has its main office or factory or place where a businessman has his office
• The company has its base in London and branches in all European countries.Base
• He has an office in Madrid which he uses as a base while he is travelling in Southern Europe.
(a) To start to calculate or to negotiate from a position
• We based our calculations on the forecast turnover.Based On
: calculating from
• Based on last year’s figure
• Based on populations forecasts
(b)To set up a company or a person in a place
• The European manager is based in our London office.Related Links :Basement
• Our overseas branch is based in the Bahamas.
• A London-based sales executive
Bargain BasementFrom Base to HOME PAGE