Business Dictionary :
Bear, Bearer and Bearing
Bear : noun :
(a) large wild animal covered in fur
• Their advertising symbol is a bear.
(b) (Stock Exchange) dealer who sells shares because he thinks the price will fall and he will be able to buy them again more cheaply later
Bear Market = period when Stock Exchange prices fall because shareholders are selling
Bear : verb :
(a) to give interest
• Government bonds which bear 5% interest
(b) to have (a name) or to have something written on it
• The cheque bears the signature of the company secretary.
• Envelope which bears a London postmark
• A letter bearing yesterday's date
• The share certificate bears his name
(c) to pay costs
• The costs of the exhibition will be borne by the company.
• The company bore the legal costs of both parties.
NOTE : bearing - bore - has borne
Bearer : noun : person who holds a cheque or certificate
• The cheque is payable to bearer = amount can be paid to the person who holds it, but not to any particular name written on it
Bearer Bond : noun : bond which is payable to the bearer and does not have a name written on it
Bearing : adjective : which bears or which produces
• Certificate bearing interest at 5%
• Interest-bearing deposits
From Bear to HOME PAGE