British and English

Previous Page

British and English :

Americans tend to use the terms “British” and “English” interchangeably, but Great Britain is made up of England plus Scotland and Wales.

If you are referring to this larger entity, the word you want is “British.”

Britons not from England resent being referred to as “English.”

Common Errors Index

From British and English to HOME PAGE