A Word A Day : Cacophonous
Sunday, 11th May 2008 : Today's Word is ...
( Adjective )
Pronunciation : fawrt & fáwr-tày
1. Characterized by unpleasant discordance of sound
2. of an unpleasant combination of loud, often jarring, sounds
NOTE : Cacophonous Records is an independent British record label, specializing in metal, black metal, death metal and gothic metal. Started in 1993, the label grew to fame with early releases by Dimmu Borgir, Cradle of Filth and Bal-Sagoth. Some controversy arose when Cacophonous dropped the unblack metal band Antestor for holding Christian beliefs.
Mid-17th century - Via French - Greek kakophōnia - kakophōnos - bad-sounding
discordant, disharmonious, dissonant, inharmonic, inharmonious, rude, unharmonious, unmusical
quiet, euphonious, mellifluous
• There was a cacophonous roar from inside the deep jungle.
• Content that makes it here has been sufficiently compelling to stand apart from the blogosphere's cacophonous chatter.
• The music of this black-led, racially-mixed ensemble leaps out of the speakers with a cacophonous celebration of human possibility and hymns to the spiritual power of love.
• cacophonously : Adverb
• cacophony : Noun
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.
A Word A Day Index
From Cacophonous to HOME PAGE