A Word A Day : Chivalrous
Saturday, 6th October 2007 : Today's Word is ...
Chivalrous( Adjective )
Pronunciation : shív-vel-ress
1. Relating to or reflecting the values of the medieval code of knighthood, especially courtesy, self-sacrifice, and a sense of fair play
2. Describes men, or men's behavior, characterized by consideration and courtesy, especially toward women
3. Being attentive to women like an ideal knightSynonyms:
Gallant, Courtly, Brave, Valiant, Loyal, Magnanimous, Noble, Courteous, Polite, Mannerly, Well-Mannered, Gracious, Attentive, Considerate, FaithfulAntonyms:
Cowardly, DiscourteousContextual Examples:
• Yet when we try to bring some little ray of hope, some chance, however distant, of something better, we are told by chivalrous
gentlemen that it is against their principles to help.
• He desired her respect, and that fact helped him to his final decision, but the thing that decided him was born of the truly chivalrous
nature he possessed.Related Words:
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.Go to The A Word A Day IndexFrom Chivalrous to HOME PAGE