A Word A Day : Consign
Friday, 9th November 2007 : Today's Word is ...
( Verb )
(past and past participle - consigned : present participle - consigning : 3rd person present singular - consigns)
Pronunciation : kan-sien
1. to hand somebody or something over to the care of another
2. to dispose of somebody or something, usually for a long time, if not permanently
3. to address, deliver, or hand over for later delivery something for sale, safekeeping, or disposal
15th century - Via French - Latin consignare - certify with a seal - signum - mark
entrust, commit, hand over, give, relegate, pack off, dispatch, condemn, get rid of, dispose of, deliver, transfer, send, send off, dispatch, remit, hand over, ship
• The children were consigned
to the care of the nanny.
• Their desponding imaginations had already consigned
him to a watery grave.
Related Words :
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.
Go to The A Word A Day Index
From Consign to HOME PAGE