A Word A Day : Culpable
Wednesday, 12th March 2008 : Today's Word is ...
( Adjective )
Pronunciation : kúlpa-b'l
1. Deserving of blame or censure as being wrong, evil, improper or injurious
2. Responsible for or chargeable with a reprehensible act
1. A person who is culpable (a culprit) is one who can be blamed for doing something.
2. To decide that a person is not culpable after all is to exculpate that person.
13th century - Via French - Latin culpabilis - culpare - to blame - culpa - fault, blame
blamable, blameful, blameworthy, censurable, guilty, reprehensible
blameless, inculpable, innocent, not guilty, right
• The accountant’s failure to sport the errors made him culpable
in the tax-fraud case.
• We all felt culpable
when the homeless old man died in the doorway of our apartment building.
• As writers of travels among barbarous communities are generally very diffuse on these subjects, he deems it right to advert to what may be considered a culpable
• The criminal was culpable
in a whole series of crimes.
generally implies that an act performed is wrong but does not involve any evil intent by the wrongdoer. The connotation of the term is fault rather than malice or a guilty purpose. It has limited significance in criminal law except in cases of reckless homicide in which a person acts negligently or demonstrates a reckless disregard for life, which results in another person's death.
is the lack of knowledge or understanding that results from the omission of ordinary care to acquire such knowledge or understanding.
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.
A Word A Day Index
From Culpable to HOME PAGE