A Word A Day : Curmudgeon
Tuesday, 12th February 2008 : Today's Word is ...
( Noun )
Pronunciation : kur-mújj-en
1. Somebody considered to be bad-tempered, disagreeable, or stubborn
2. Somebody who is irritable or stubborn
3. An ill-tempered person full of resentment and stubborn notions
1577, of unknown origin - Johnson's suggestion that it is from Fr. coeur mechant evil heart is no longer taken seriously - the first syllable may be cur meaning dog
bear, bellyacher, bug, complainer, crab, crank, crosspatch, curmudgeon, faultfinder, griper, grouser, growler, grumbler, grump, kicker, lemon puss, malcontent, moaner, sorehead, sourpuss, whiner
complimenter, philanthropist, spendthrift,
• No churlish old curmudgeon could have been the owner of that grove of bread-fruit trees, or of these gloriously yellow bunches of bananas.
• The Prince must be a very stingy curmudgeon, to be sure, when his own dinner was over, he would not bid them welcome to the broken victuals from the table.
• curmudgeonly : Adjective
• curmudgeonry : Noun
Common Misspellings of Curmudgeon:
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.
A Word A Day Index
From Curmudgeon to HOME PAGE