A Word A Day : Discrepancy
Thursday, 6th December 2007 : Today's Word is ...
( Noun )
Pronunciation : di skréppensee
1. A distinct difference between two things such as sets of figures that should match or correspond
2. Divergence or disagreement, as between facts or claims
3. An instance of divergence or disagreement
4. Deviation between what is expected and what actually occurs
Early 17th century - Latin discrepantia discrepare differ -crepare to rattle
Difference, Discrepance, Disparity, Dissimilarity, Dissimilitude, Distinction, Divarication, Divergence, Divergency, Unlikeness, Inconsistency, Incongruity, Disagreement
Agreement, Concordance, Concurrence, Consistency, Harmony, Parity, Correspondence
• There was a discrepancy
between the answer and the record in the recruiting books.
• Whoever is on the stage, it is always Shakespeare who is speaking to me, and perhaps this is the reason why in the past I can trace no discrepancy
between reading his plays and seeing them.
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.
Go to The A Word A Day Index
From Discrepancy to HOME PAGE