A Word A Day : Emollient
Friday, 4th April 2008 : Today's Word is ...
( Adjective & Noun )
Pronunciation : i-mólly-ent
1. softening or soothing, especially to the skin
2. trying to avoid anger and argument by using a calming manner ( formal )
3. a substance that softens or soothes something, especially the skin
4. an agent that assuages or mollifies
5. Toiletry consisting of any of various substances in the form of a thick liquid that have a soothing and moisturizing effect when applied to the skin
Mid-17th century - Latin emollient - present participle of emollire - soften - mollis - soft
balsamic, demulcent, healing, lenitive, palliative, relieving, remedial, softening, balm, cream, lenitive, liniment, moisturizer, oil, ointment, salve, soothing agent, unguent
abrasive, irritant, aggravating, irritating
• The emollient
approach of the diplomatic mediator was acclaimed by all newspaper.
• They used to be rather drying because of the alcohol, but manufacturers have since added an emollient
to reduce that effect, leading to improved skin integrity for those who wash often.
• The emolument of her new job allowed her to buy the expensive emollient
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.
A Word A Day Index
From Emollient to HOME PAGE