Pronunciation : fún-je-b'l
1. Returnable or negotiable in kind or by substitution, as a quantity of grain for an equal amount of the same kind of grain ( LAW )
2. Anything that is interchangeable
3. Something that is exchangeable or substitutable ( Often used in the plural )
4. Describes commodities that can be traded or substituted for an equal amount of a like commodity, usually to satisfy a contract
Financial instrument equivalent in value to another, and easily exchanged or substituted. A dollar bill loaned has the same value as a dollar paid back. Bearer securities and stocks issued in the same class have this quality, as well as exchange traded options and mortgages in a pool of loans supporting a mortgage backed security.
A description applied to items of which each unit is identical to every other unit, such as in the case of grain, oil, or flour.
Late 17th century - medieval Latin fungibilis - Latin fungi - perform
changeable, commutable, compatible, converse, convertible, correspondent, equivalent, exchangeable, fungible, identical, interconvertible, mutual, reciprocal, reciprocative, same, substitutable, synonymous, workalike
• Oil is fungible. It is all one global market. And if China wants to overpay for a second-tier U.S. energy company, that's China's business.
• Fungible goods are those that can readily be estimated and replaced according to weight, measure, and amount.
• Oil, wheat, and lumber are fungible commodities.
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.