Groups of Consonants
Groups of Consonants : Grammar & Spelling Tips
Words with a cluster of two, three or more consonants are easy to misspell. You may put the letters in the wrong order or use too few or too many:
• Remember to put the n before the m in enmity and environment.
• Remember the first h in ophthalmic, diphtheria and naphtha.
• Remember the p in symptom.
• There is a double h in withhold, but only one in threshold.
• Don't put a p in hamster or a d in pigeon.
Some vowel combinations are tricky too.
• a comes before u in gauge, but after u in guard.
• u comes before o in buoy and buoyant.
• Remember all the vowels in manoeuvre.
From Groups of Consonants to HOME PAGE