Pronunciation : lug-zoree-ant & luk-shoree-ant
1. with a lot of young rich healthy growth
2. growing thickly and profusely
3. written in an elaborate, showy, and dramatic style
4. producing vast quantities of something
5. of a luxurious rich character
14th century - Via French - Latin luxuria - profusion, excess
abundant, ample, copious, deluxe, dense, elaborate, excessive, extravagant, exuberant, fancy, fecund, fertile, flamboyant, flourishing, fruitful, lavish, luscious, lush, opulent, overflowing, palatial, plenteous, plentiful, plush, prodigal, productive, profusive, prolific, profuse, plush, rampant, rank, rich, riotous, sumptuous, superabundant, teeming, thriving, luxurious
Luxuriant indicates profusion.
Luxurious means sumptuous and expensive.
lacking, meager, rare, scant, scarce, skimpy, sparse, barren, meager, plain, poor
• The goat has a luxuriant mane of dark curly hair.
• The vine was luxuriant in the time of vintage with leaves and grapes.
• Ata's house stood about eight kilometres from the road that runs round the island and you went to it along a winding pathway shaded by the luxuriant trees of the tropics.
• He wanted to settle in luxuriant country.
NOTE : luxuriant or luxurious?
Both these adjectives are related to the noun luxury, but their meanings do not overlap. Luxuriant is used to describe something that grows in rich profusion, for example, hair or vegetation. Luxurious means very comfortable as in a luxurious bedroom or a luxurious lifestyle.
• luxuriantly : Adverb
• luxuriously : Adverb
• luxury : Noun
• luxurious : Adjective
• luxuriate : Verb
• luxuriance : Noun
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.