A Word A Day : Mundane
Saturday, 24th May 2008 : Today's Word is ...
( Adjective )
Pronunciation : mun-dáyn
1. relating to matters of this world
2. relating to or characteristic of the earth or of human life on earth
3. found in the ordinary course of events
4. of or belonging to or characteristic of this earth as distinguished from heaven
15th century - Via French - late Latin mundanus - Latin mundus - world
earthbound, earthen, earthly, earthy, secular, tellurian, telluric, temporal, terrene, terrestrial, worldly, ordinary, commonplace
exciting, extraordinary, heavenly, supernatural, wonderful
• Creativity is piercing the mundane to find the marvelous.
• Even in the upper and damp region I procured very few, excepting some minute Diptera and Hymenoptera, mostly of common mundane forms.
• My day was filled with mundane chores. I mowed the lawn, did the laundry and fed the dog.
• Dee's job was so mundane that she sometimes had trouble remembering whether she was at work or asleep.
• The monk's thoughts were far removed from mundane concerns. He was contemplating all the fun he was going to have in heaven.
• mundanely : Adverb
• mundaneness : Noun
• mundanity : Noun
In science fiction and in fandom, a mundane is a person who does not belong to a particular group, according to the members of that group. According to the Mundane Manifesto, mundane science fiction is science fiction which does not make use of interstellar travel or other common tropes of the genre.
The Mundanes were an early-1980s Rhode Island-based New Wave band featuring future They Might Be Giants member John Linnell.
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.
A Word A Day Index
From Mundane to HOME PAGE