Monday, 17th December 2007 : Today's Word is ...
Pronunciation : na stáljea
1. A bittersweet longing for things, persons, or situations of the past
2. a longing for home or family when away from either
3. longing for something past
4. a wistful or excessively sentimental sometimes abnormal yearning for return to or of some past period or irrecoverable condition
Late 18th century - modern Latin - homesickness - Greek nostos -homecoming - algos - pain
homesickness, reminiscence, wistfulness, longing, melancholy, loneliness, pining, regret, regretfulness, remorse, schmaltz, sentimentality, slop, slush, sob story, tear-jerker, wistfulness, yearning
• He fretted, seized with nostalgia that flight only could cure.
• Accident has cast them amid certain surroundings, but they have always a nostalgia for a home they know not.
1. nostalgically: Adverb
2. nostalgic: Adjective
3. nostalgist: Noun
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.
Follow These Links!