A Word A Day : Ostensible
Friday, 28th March 2008 : Today's Word is ...
Pronunciation : o stén-sse-b'l
1. outward appearance
2. presented as being true, or appearing to be true, but usually hiding a different motive or meaning
3. concerned with or comprehending only what is apparent or obvious
4. appearing as such but not necessarily so
French, from Medieval Latin ostçnsibilis, from Latin ostçnsus, past participle of ostendere, to show : ob-, ob- + tendere, to stretch
ostensive, apparent, professed, supposed, perceived, seeming, alleged, superficial
genuine, real, improbable, obscure, unlikely, vague
• His ostensible purpose was charity, but his real goal was popularity.
• The ostensible purpose of the parade was to celebrate the day, but the prolific political posters made it clear it was part of a campaign.
• The ostensible reason why Ahab did not go on board of the whaler we had spoken was this: the wind and sea betokened storms.
• There is something ostensible in each of them, and in all probability something unseen and unproved, but to be imagined, also.
• I have formed the belief that the man who applauds that air with special violence and ostensible sectional loyalty is invariably a native of India.
• Blake's ostensible mission was to repair a broken telephone, but his real goal was to plant a bomb that would blow up the building.
• Trevor's ostensible kindness to squirrels belied his deep hatred of them.
• ostensibly : Adverb
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.
Follow These Links!