A précis is a summary. Précis writing is a very useful exercise. Most of us read carelessly. Précis-writing gives training in careful reading. Précis–writing is regarded as a very important kind of composition because it develops one’s capacity to discriminate between the essential and the inessential.
Write a précis of the following passage.
Prevention is better than cure and it is recognised that the only way to get rid of malaria completely is to get rid of the mosquitoes which cause it. Malaria is always associated with damp and the marshy land. This is not because the land is damp; but because the standing water is the breeding place of the mosquito, which begins its life as a larva living in the water. Malaria does to frequently occur in dry desert countries because mosquitoes cannot breed there. The only way to destroy mosquitoes is to preset their breeding in standing, water. This can be done by draining all ponds and pools; and by keeping them covered in the breeding season with a film of kerosene oil, which, by depriving the larva of air, kills them.
Rough Draft :
1. Prevention is better than cure.
2. Mosquitoes cause malaria. We should get rid of mosquitoes.
3. The standing water is the breeding place of mosquitoes, if the land is dry, mosquitoes cannot breed there.
4. We should destroy mosquitoes by draining all ponds and pools and keeping them covered by a film of kerosene.
5. The larva cannot get air and die.
Mosquitoes Cause Malaria
Fair Draft :
Mosquitoes, which cause malaria, breed in stagnant water. They cannot breed in dry lands. If we use kerosene, the stagnant water is covered with a film of it and the larva cannot breathe.