A Word A Day : Quiescence
Monday, 19th May 2008 : Today's Word is ...
( Noun )
Pronunciation : kwee-éss-nse
1. The condition of being temporarily inactive
2. Quiet and inactive restfulness
A quiescent prominence is a long, sheet-like prominence of relatively cool solar material that hangs nearly vertically to the Sun's surface for days or months.
In behavioral neuroscience, quiescence refers to a behavior where an animal is vigilant but relaxed and immobile. This may be related to a recuperative response after an encounter with a predator.
Quiescence may refer to Computer server administration, particularly pertaining to backup issues. Backups of databases and filesystems represent the state of a collection of information at a particular point in time. Often, administrators prefer to back up a quiescent system in which all pending database or file transactions have been committed.
Early 17th century - Latin quiescent - present participle of quiescere - come to rest
abeyance, abeyancy, dormancy, intermission, latency, suspension, quiescency, sleeping
action, agility, alacrity
• Our company is in a state of affairs that will bring quiescence with cessation of the discomfort.
• If gentlemen approach her chair, a deeper quiescence, a meeker modesty settles on her features, and clothes her general mien; observe then her eyebrows, et dites-moi s'il n'y a pas du chat dans l'un et du renard dans l'autre.
• She folded herself in the large chair, and leaned her head against it in fatigued quiescence, while Tantripp went away wondering at this strange contrariness in her young mistress--that just the morning when she had more of a widow's face than ever, she should have asked for her lighter mourning which she had waived before.
• Deeds will be done; while be boasts his quiescence.
• quiescent : Adjective
• quiescently : Adverb
• quiescency : Noun
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.
A Word A Day Index
From Quiescence to HOME PAGE