Quit, Quite, Quorum and Quota
• He quit after an argument with the managing director.
NOTE : quitting - quit
Quite : adverb :
(a) more or less
• He is quite a good salesman.
(b) very or completely
• He is quite capable of running the department alone.
(c) quite a few or quite a lot = many
• Quite a few of our sales staff are women.
Quorum : noun : number of people who have to be present at a meeting to make it valid
• To have a quorum = to have enough people present for a meeting to go ahead
Quota : noun : fixed amount of something which is allowed
Import Quota = fixed quantity of a particular type of goods which the government allows to be imported
• The government has imposed a quota on the importation of cars.
Quota System = system where imports or supplies are regulated by fixing maximum amounts
• To arrange distribution through a quota system = to arrange distribution by allowing each distributor only a certain number of items
QUOTE : Canada agreed to a new duty-free quota of 600.000 tonnes a year. (Globe and Mail -Toronto)
Quote : verb : to repeat words used by someone else
Follow These Links!