This KEY is the Prefix RE which means BACK & AGAIN. It is a very simple key and here it is used with simple root words. The only word in the list which is a bit difficult is NO: 8 and that is analyzed for complete understanding. You will meet RE again later with more difficult words. Just now, remember that RE means BACK; AGAIN.
1. rebuild- RE build (re bild’) v.
2. recall- RE call (re kal’) v.
To bring back to mind; remember.
3. recede- RE cede (re sede;) v.
Go back, as the tide will recede at 4 P.M.
4. redye- RE dye (re die’) v.
5. reflect- RE flect (re flekt’) v.
Throw back, as a mirror will reflect an image.
6. refold- RE fold (re fold’) v.
Fold again, as refold a letter.
7. regain- Re gain (re gane’) v.
Get back, as regain health.
8. reiterate- RE iterate (re it’ er ate) v.
Say again: repeat.
9. rejoin- RE joion (re join’) v.
Come together again, as rejoin the company.
10. relate- RE late (re late’) v.
Tell again, as relate a story.
11. relive- RE live (re liv’) v.
Live over again, as relive a happy moment.
12. remarry- RE marry (re ma’ ree) v.
13. remind- RE mind (re minde’) v.
Mention again, as remind me to buy bread.
14. repay- Re pay (re pay’) v.
Pay back, as repay a loan.
15. repeat- RE peat (re pete’) v.
Say again; reiterate (See No. 8)
16. resell- RE sell (re sel’) v.
Sell again, as buy a house and resell it.
17. return- RE turn (re turn’) v.
Come back, as return home.
18. reverse- RE verse (re vers’) v.
Turn about; make a complete change, as, reverse judgment.
19. rewarm- RE warm (re warn’) v.
Head again, as rewarm supper.
20. rewrite- RE write (re rite’) v.
Write again, as rewrite a story.
Go to the Etymology Index Page