A Word A Day : Ribald
Monday, 10th March 2008 : Today's Word is ...
( Adjective & Noun )
Pronunciation : ríbb'ld & ri-bàwld
1. humorous but rude and vulgar, often involving jokes about sex
2. characterized by or indulging in vulgar
3. humorously vulgar
4. Offensive to accepted standards of decency
5. A vulgar, lewdly funny person
14th century - Old French ribau(l)t - riber - sleep around - Germanic
barnyard, bawdy, broad, coarse, dirty, Fescennine, filthy, foul, gross, lewd, nasty, obscene, profane, scatologic, scatological, scurrilous, smutty, vulgar, earthy, rude, funny, humorous
is similar to earth or hearty or coarse or vulgar.
is pertaining to human existence on earth.
means something made of earth or clay.
refined, chaste, clean, decent, proper, civil, cultured, gentlemanly, polite, sophisticated, well-mannered
• The crowd laughed at the comedian's occasional ribald
• The first point is: I hate ribaldry
• On the evening of the 23d -July, they encamped on the banks of what they term Big River. And here we cannot but pause to lament the stupid, commonplace and often ribald
names entailed upon the rivers and other features of the great West by traders and settlers.
• Before it was altogether dark the curious crowd had collected in the street with here and there a scoffer uttering his incredulity and courage with scornful remarks or ribald
is a third, and somewhat neglected, genre of sexual entertainment. Somewhat different from either pornography or erotica. It is often confused with them. It could also be referred to as bawdiness
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.
A Word A Day Index
From Ribald to HOME PAGE