A Word A Day : Sodden
Saturday, 8th March 2008 : Today's Word is ...
( Verb & Adjective )
Pronunciation : sódd'-n
Definition : Verb
Past and past participle : soddened
Present participle : soddening
3rd person present singular : soddens
1. to soak or steep
2. to cook by boiling or simmering or to boil
3. to be in a state of agitation or excitement
4. to surge or foam as if boiling
Definition : Adjective
1. extremely wet and heavy with retained moisture
2. having dulled senses as a result of excessive drinking
3. heavy, lumpy or soggy as food that is poorly cooked
4. Unimaginative, torpid
13th century - Obsolete - past participle of seethe meaning soaking
Synonyms for Adjective
soggy, sopping, soppy, wet, besotted, crapulent, crapulous, drunk, drunken, inebriate, inebriated, intoxicated, tipsy
Synonyms for Verb
douse, drench, saturate, soak, sop, souse, wet
Antonyms for Adjective
arid, dried, dry, parched, cheerful,
Antonyms for Verb
dry, clean, neat, ordered, tidy
• My shoes became sodden the more we ran around on the wet field.
• London had wakened to life after three weeks of cold and sodden rain.
• A peculiar stagnant smell hung over the anchorage--a smell of sodden leaves and rotting tree trunks.
• The officer, a very young lad with a broad rosy face and keen merry eyes, galloped up to Denisov and handed him a sodden envelope.
• soddenly : Adverb
• soddenness : Noun
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.
A Word A Day Index
From Sodden to HOME PAGE