Substantial : suhb-stan-shuhl
1. Of, relating to, or having substance
2. of ample or considerable amount, quantity, size, etc.
3. basic or essential or fundamental
4. of or pertaining to the essence of a thing : essential, material or important
Philosophy : pertaining to or of the nature of substance rather than an accident or attribute
1300–50 : ME substancial : LL substantiâlis : equivalent to L substanti(a) substance
stable, sound, valid, important, significant, in essence, substantive, material, real
• The Differences between the two theories were not substantial. In fact, the two theories said the same thing with different words.
• The gossip columnist’s wild accusations were not based on anything substantial. Her source was a convicted criminal and she had made up all the quotations.
• The very beautiful and substantial side-wheel steamship Quaker City has been chartered for the occasion, and will leave New York June 8th.
• He is one of the substantial men of the town.
• The evidence we have is substantial.
substantiality, substantialness : Noun
substantially : Adverb
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.
Follow These Links!